Upper School Students Reflect on their Fall Favorites

The fall season is a favorite among Sidwell students as the community comes together to celebrate the changing season. Pumpkin patches, apple picking and Halloween are classic autumn staples that provide friends and families opportunities to spend time together and celebrate the commencement of the holiday season.

At Sidwell, a recent survey revealed fall foods to be a fan favorite, and the way a majority of students get into the autumn spirit.

Most students said their favorite fall food staple is Halloween candy, while others most enjoy the warm flavors associated with the season. 

Freshman Sophia Toukan emphasized this idea saying, “Seasonal fall drinks and foods are a crucial part of the fall experience.” The unique flavors of fall center around fruits and spices most commonly produced during the September to November period, making these foods a quintessential aspect of the season. 

Freshman Thomas Silva states “enjoys eating all the fall treats” particularly those with “pumpkin spice and cinnamon,” which he cites as his favorite flavors of fall. Senior Ishnoor Bakshi agrees, noting how much she also loves these special fall treats: “Each year I love getting apple cider donuts with my friends and family.” 

Freshman John Thomas can’t imagine fall without these classic seasonal goods, saying, “Consuming seasonal drinks and foods creates a comfortable environment which makes fall enjoyable.” 

Freshman Ainsley Anderson enjoys autumn’s unique flavors such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice as they introduce a “whole different world” to her baking. Whether making traditional baked goods such as pumpkin pie and apple strudel or creating scary halloween treats with fun decorations, baking is a favorite among the Sidwell community. 

Senior Lux Winterhof explains “Spooky desserts just hit more” as the baker can take more creative liberties. “A fun baking night with your friends can become a whole event,” Winterhof added. 

Autumn baking seems to bring the community together as students prioritize spending time with their friends and family. “My family and I aways bake apple pies. It is so much fun!” said senior Jasmine Flowers. 

Similarly, junior Izzy Fandl says she plans to “get in the fall spirit by baking spooky treats” with her sister. 

Along with baking, some Sidwell students cited decorating as their favorite way of getting in the fall spirit this October. Senior Alma Degener commented that “decorating the Senior Center” was one of her favorite ways to get into the spirit of the season. 

Similarly, senior Ellie Rosser loves the community aspect of fall and Halloween decorations: “My neighborhood gets really into Halloween, so my family and I like to go around and find the best ones. It is always one of my favorite things to do in the fall!” 

Lastly, students stated they enjoy fall because of the beautiful outdoor scenery and various outdoor activities. 

“My favorite fall activity is admiring the changing leaves,” Fandl said. Senior Elizabeth Hare agreed, adding how she loves to drive along the Potomac River because it is “so pretty in the fall because of the changing leaves.” 

The changing leaves provide fall with its classic red, orange and yellow canopy, and along with the beauty it brings, many students also said they enjoy playing in the leaf piles as an autumn pastime: “I like to throw my dog into the pile afterwards and it’s really funny,” commented junior Andrei Nazlymov.