Fall Delights: A Guide to Seasonal Treats and Drinks

For many, fall can be a time of gloomy weather, college applications and increasingly large piles of assignments. Nevertheless, there is much to love about the season: the crispness of the air, the changing leaves and the approaching holiday festivities. Though the post-summer blues may seem like an impossible slump to conquer, there is no better cure than a seasonal treat. Foods and drinks add to fall’s distinctive feeling, creating an atmosphere of warmth and familiarity.

The Starbucks fall seasonal options are popular among Sidwell students: Sophomore Lindsay Neal believes it is “the best thing about the whole season.” Starbucks introduces new fall items yearly and offers fan favorites such as the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew and Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin. This year, they added the Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte and Baked Apple Croissant.

While these items are exciting for customers nationwide, nothing compares to the consistent anticipation surrounding the Pumpkin Spice Latte. 

With 2023 being its 20th anniversary on the menu, it remains one of the classic markings of fall in American culture. 

Since 2003, the pumpkin spice flavor has brought the Starbucks chain much success and has been replicated by other chains such as Dunkin Donuts and McDonald’s. Many fans of the drink find themselves counting down the days before its release and rushing to their nearest store when it finally comes out. 

“It gives you something to look forward to after a long school day, and it’s nostalgic and special to the fall season,” said sophomore Caroline Mohamadi.

Some students find the Pumpkin Spice Latte overrated: “I like it, but I like other lattes more,” said junior Marielle Van Meter. 

Pumpkin patches in the area are also open for the season, including Butler’s Orchard in Germantown and Homestead Farm in Poolesville. The pumpkin recipes are endless, and jack-o-lantern leftovers do not have to go to waste. The seeds, in particular, can be roasted or added to other dishes. 

Otherwise, store-bought pumpkin puree is versatile and can be used in soups or baked goods.

There is more to do than just pumpkin picking at many of these farms. Butler’s Orchard’s Fall Festival runs through Oct. 29, with a flat rate of admission for activities such as hayrides and a straw maze. Additionally, Homestead Farm boasts eleven kinds of apples available for picking. 

Baking can also bring up warm feelings of autumn nostalgia. Beyond pumpkin, many other recipes are perfect for fall. In recent years, Taylor Swift’s “chai cookie recipe” has gained popularity since she posted it on her Instagram handle.

Mohamadi also celebrates Thanksgiving through her love for food. “Cooking with my family on Thanksgiving brings us closer together,” said Mohamadi. From preparing the perfect stuffing to baking pies and cakes, Thanksgiving is a time to indulge in delicious food and reunite with family. 

The fall season brings so many possibilities for seasonal food and drink — these items are just a sliver of the selection.