Sidwell Softball and Boys Tennis Win Regular Season Titles

SFSquakers
The Varsity Tennis team finished the regular season 16-1, successfully completing their title defense for the fourth year in a row.

The Varsity Softball Team and the Boy’s Tennis Team won their respective league titles at the end of May: the Independent School League (ISL) for the girls and the Mid-Atlantic Athletic Conference for the boys. 

This was their first ISL regular season title for Varsity Softball in over a decade. Last season marked the first time the Softball Program brought home a banner after winning the ISL A Championship. This year, the Quakers built upon their success and finished out the regular season undefeated 7-0. 

Although there were tough losses to schools in the upper division, including Georgetown Visitation and St. John’s, the softball team could stay focused on their goals. The team also persevered through difficult weather conditions, such as rain, which is challenging due to the slick ball and uncomfortable conditions. 

Though the team will be losing two seniors, second baseman Polly Partridge and center fielder Paige Brown, they are hopeful for next season and the possibilities the future brings for them. 

I think we are a motivated, driven team, and I think we have the capacity to accomplish many things in the future,” said freshman catcher Sofia Toukan. 

The Boys’ Tennis Program, on the other hand, is no stranger to victory and has maintained its title as MAC Regular Season Champions for the past four years. 

The tennis team closed their regular season with an impressive 6-0 record, beating schools like Potomac, GDS and Maret with consistent 7-0 or 6-1 finishes. The team maintained a 16-1 record, the only loss coming from a non-league match against St. Albans on March 12. 

Junior Misha Ovcharenko said that that loss “set a precedent and standard for the team — and we definitely got better as a result of it.” 

Despite the defeat early in the season, the team stayed determined and didn’t let one loss rattle them. Their perfect record after this match shows that they were able to bounce back quickly from this defeat. 

Mischa explained, “it was really nice to see a different, new team win. Each year the tennis team is different and losing one senior can make a huge difference, but being able to carry the energy on as upperclassmen and bring our team to another title made it much more rewarding.” 

As the team looks ahead to next year, they are confident that their “Grit and Grind” mantra will continue to bring them success. Despite any losses or hardships the team may face, they are ready to take on any school together and prepared to win another title next season. 

As the end of the 2024 school year approaches, the seniors’ graduation will change the dynamics of Sidwell teams. However, both Softball and Tennis players are optimistic as they look forward to 2025. 

Additionally, as both programs find success on the field and the court, they hope to see an increase in attendance at their games and greater support from the Sidwell community.