Breaking News
Sidwell Friends School's Student Newspaper Since 1974

Horizon

Horizon

Horizon

Walter Rouse ’19 is Drafted to the Vikings

Sidwell+alumnus+Walter+Rouse+%E2%80%9919+was+drafted+by+the+Minnesota+Vikings+in+this+year%E2%80%99s+annual+NFL+draft.+
Sidwell Friends
Sidwell alumnus Walter Rouse ’19 was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in this year’s annual NFL draft.

On April 27, Sidwell alumnus Walter Rouse ’19 was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in this year’s annual NFL draft. Rouse was the first pick of the sixth round and 177th overall. 

After graduating from Sidwell in 2019, Rouse attended Stanford for the first four years of his collegiate career before transferring to Oklahoma to play for the Sooners during his final year of eligibility for college football. 

Although he suffered a torn labrum during his time at Stanford, Rouse recovered quickly and could play 13 games in his final season. During his time at Stanford, Rouse received an honorable mention All-Pac-12 honor and only missed one game. While at Oklahoma, Rouse let up zero sacks on 480 pass-blocking snaps. During his entire career, Rouse only let up four sacks, three of which occurred during the 2021 season.

Rouse’s athletic ability and experience have been assets throughout his time in the NCAA. With 39 starts coming into the draft, a figure notably high compared to other prospects, Rouse has utilized extra playing time to perfect his blocking technique. According to his draft profile, he has a good base in pass protection and can keep his feet moving to stay connected on blocks with faster defensive ends. Another notable strength is his effort when he needs to reposition himself. 

However, all prospects have areas for improvement, and according to Rouse’s draft profile, Rouse has been susceptible to bull rush moves and lacks quickness against edge rushers at times. In addition, his tendency to approach down blocks while standing too tall has resulted in occasional balance issues. Although Rouse may not secure a starting position in his first season, he will have time to learn and develop into a strong player.

The Vikings drafted J.J. McCarthy, Dallas Turner and Khyree Jackson before picking Rouse in the 6th round. According to Forbes, McCarthy marks the beginning of a new era in Minnesota. His selection sparked controversy, as some believed his college success was largely due to the support of his team. 

Nonetheless, McCarthy’s numbers speak for themselves, boasting over 6200 passing yards and 49 touchdown passes over his three seasons at Michigan. This year, Michigan won the college football championship under McCarthy’s leadership

Dallas Turner was another key first-round pick. Turner was projected to be selected in the top 10 in the draft, but he was picked much later than expected. Luckily, the Vikings took the opportunity to draft him as the 17th pick. 

Over his three years at Alabama, Turner averaged 22.5 sacks and 32.5 tackles per season, putting him in the upper echelons of college football. He will be filling the position of Daniele Hunter, who left to play for the Texans. 

Khyree Jackson is a high-ceiling prospect who helped secure the Viking’s secondary. Jackson spent two years of his collegiate career at Alabama before transferring to Oregon for his final year. Over his career, Jackson completed three interceptions along with nine pass deflections. 

Rouse joins a Vikings draft class representing a new team generation. With the team’s prospective franchise quarterback and two key defensive players, Rouse is ready to help build a team for success. 

The Vikings are already a strong team with a powerful offense, including players such as Justin Jefferson, T.J. Hockenson and Jordan Addison in their starting lineup. According to TKTK, Rouse will be a worthy addition to this team’s offense, offering powerful blocks and sacks.