Biden’s Impeachment Exemplifies Democracy in Action

Political alignments should not factor into impeachment decisions. Photo: Creative Commons.

No matter what one may think of the impeachment inquiry against President Joe Biden, the process of impeachment is a fundamental aspect of American democracy. It exists to hold leaders accountable for their actions through formal due process wherein one could be removed from office if deemed unfit to rule by Congress. It functions as a vital check on the power of the executive branch, safeguarding against abuses of power. While Biden’s impeachment inquiry may seem frivolous, the topic of impeachment is a perennial theme in American politics and news. Although presidential impeachment is rare, with only three presidents charged in the history of the United States, two of these three impeachments occurred within the last three decades. 

While many argue that this is yet another instance of partisan politics tearing the country apart, having a formal mechanism to remove politicians from power is paramount and easily outweighs its downsides.

The most recent presidential impeachment occurred in 2019 and 2021, with former President Donald Trump charged with abuse of power and incitement of insurrection respectively. Over two decades before Trump, President Bill Clinton was impeached in 1998 for lying under oath about an affair. Now, President Biden faces his own impeachment, with his detractors demanding an inquiry to be initiated as soon as possible. While many argue that this is yet another instance of partisan politics tearing the country apart, having a formal mechanism to remove politicians from power is paramount and easily outweighs its downsides. In a democracy, no one, not even the president, stands above the law. With accepting a position of such power and regard also comes accepting the scrutiny that comes with it. 

The regulations for impeachment are contained in Article II, Section IV of the Constitution, which states that “[T]he President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” Biden’s inquiry is centered on allegations of corruption and abuse of power, particularly in connection to his son’s notorious business dealings. A thorough investigation of these allegations and a meticulous examination of the evidence are crucial, regardless of one’s political opinions on the situation. If wrongdoing is discovered, it must be addressed through the constitutional process of impeachment. While political motivations often do play a role in impeachment proceedings, they do not diminish impeachment’s necessity as a construct of democratic governance. 

When credible allegations of misconduct emerge, it is Congress’ duty to investigate and ascertain whether impeachment is warranted. The Biden impeachment inquiry underscores the dire need for transparency and accountability within our government, serving as a reminder that public officials must uphold the highest ethical standards and be held accountable for their actions. If the impeachment inquiry results in an impeachment vote by the House of Representatives, it is not a verdict of guilt until the Senate formally tries an official and finds them guilty. 

If President Biden were to be impeached and then found guilty, he would be removed from office. In order to protect American democracy, the possibility of presidential removal is a necessary measure to ensure the interests of the American people. The Biden impeachment inquiry is a testament to the resilience of our democracy, not an indication of its fragility. It proves our system of government is designed to hold leaders accountable for their actions. While the process may be divisive and politically charged, it is essential to focus on the substance of the allegations and the evidence presented. Only through a comprehensive and equitable examination can we determine whether impeachment is warranted. Ultimately, our unwavering commitment should be to the principles of justice, transparency and accountability that comprise our democracy.