Sidwell Selects New SALT Members for the 2023-2024 School Year

SALT is an excellent opportunity for students to have leadership roles in their communities and work with other students in different grades. It is also a great way for students to practice and improve their public speaking and time management skills. I can’t wait to see our SALT students shine this year!

— Christian Baker

The program strives to create a cadre of students who can represent Sidwell and share their experiences through campus tours, panels and more. SALT Director Christian Baker commented that the program will be greatly beneficial for incoming families: “Applicants can learn about Sidwell Friends from students first hand. SALT provides an opportunity to show prospective families how involved our community is and how spectacular our students are. We have an amazing community here at Sidwell Friends, and I think it is important for interested families to experience that.”

The application process for SALT is straightforward. Depending on what grade they are in, students are either nominated or asked to apply for the program. The students then submit a short video and written statement explaining how they would fit the SALT team well.

There are four stages of leadership that SALT members actively participate in. The first is the buddy stage, led by SALT members in the fifth, sixth and ninth grades. Members help prospective students through a typical day at school, offering them the chance to sit in on their classes and experience the Sidwell community for themselves. The Admissions Team aims to ensure that the SALT member and buddy have similar interests, allowing members to provide information and advice on subjects of interest to their buddy. 

The second stage of SALT is panels open to students in the fourth and fifth grades and the seventh through twelfth grades. During these information sessions, SALT members discuss their Sidwell experience and answer prospective families’ questions. Questions usually center around homework load, sports, art programs and teacher student relationships. The SALT panels allow incoming families to gain insight from the personal experiences of current Sidwell students. 

The third stage of SALT is the campus tours, which are guided by SALT members in grades eight through twelve. Students will conduct tours around the Middle and Upper Schools as campus guides. Tours typically last about an hour and cover a variety of sites on campus, including classes, the Athletics Center, the cafeteria and the library. Additionally, student guides might conduct specialized tours for events like Homecoming or to explain features of the school’s green building. 

The final stage of SALT is the captain program, open to students in 11th11th and 12th grade. SALT captains represent the school at school fairs, offering information about the Sidwell admissions process and what life as a Sidwell student entails. In addition, captains write letters to potential incoming students and help conduct school tours. SALT captains also collaborate with the school’s school’s Coordinator for Outreach and Digital Content to create posts for Sidwell’s social media platforms.

The program benefits not only incoming students but also provides existing students with leadership opportunities. Baker commented, “SALT is an excellent opportunity for students to have leadership roles in their communities and work with other students in different grades. It is also a great way for students to practice and improve their public speaking and time management skills. I can’t wait to see our SALT students shine this year!” 

Two-year SALT member and Freshman Chetty Thomas stated that SALT allowed her to “learn more about [her] school” and helped her “come out of [her] shell through interacting with so many new students and families.”  

SALT looks forward to continuing its role at Sidwell and providing more leadership opportunities. By allowing students to be more involved and offering assistance to prospective Sidwell families, the SALT team hopes to bring the Sidwell community closer together and put into practice the values integral to the school.