Lionel Messi Wins the Leagues Cup After Historic Move to the MLS

Getty Images
Messi leads Inter Miami to win their first trophy in club history — the third-annual Leagues Cup. Photo: Getty Images.

It’s safe to say that Messi-mania is in full swing in the U.S. “Become a Lionel Messi Insider,” advertises the Major League Soccer (MLS) website. Marcus Hayes, a sports columnist at the Philadelphia Inquirer, describes Lionel Messi as a “soccer god.” 

This praise is well deserved, as on Aug. 19, Messi and Inter Miami CF beat Nashville SC in penalty kicks to win the third edition of the Leagues Cup. This is Miami’s first trophy in club history. Messi put the Herons on the scoresheet in the 23rd minute but Nashville came back in the second half after a series of deflections off a set piece. As per MLS regulations, the teams advanced straight to penalty kicks after the final whistle. 

The shootout lasted 10 rounds, and ended goalkeeper vs. goalkeeper. Drake Callender, Miami’s keeper and the Man of the Match, pulled off a final save, and Messi claimed his 42nd trophy. 

Messi was officially unveiled as a member of Inter Miami CF on July 16 along with midfielder Sergio Busquets, his former Barcelona teammate. As his two-year contract with Paris Saint-Germain came to an end, there was speculation that Messi would return to FC Barcelona. However, the negotiation process fell through due to La Liga’s financial fair play regulations, and Messi ultimately chose to join Inter Miami. 

In an interview with the Athletic, David Beckham, co-owner of Inter Miami and a former Manchester United star and MLS player, said that signing Messi “will be up there with the biggest moves in American sporting history… it’s a hell of an achievement.”

Upon his transfer, Messi has brought an unprecedented level of attention to Major League Soccer (MLS). In one day, he brought more than five million new Instagram followers to Inter Miami, a team that is only three years old, making it the most-followed American sports franchise. 

In his first seven games for Inter Miami at the Leagues Cup, Messi scored ten goals and three assists, leading the Leagues Cup players in goals and shots on targets. In addition to scoring every match, he also has three multi-goal games. 

Before Messi’s arrival to Inter Miami, the team only had 5 wins and 3 ties in 22 games, making them the worst-ranked team in MLS. Inter Miami had a goal differential of -14 and scored on average just one goal per game. Since Messi’s arrival, the team has scored an average of 2.2 goals per game, with a goal differential of 14 in their favor.

Messi’s arrival at Inter Miami has also increased demand for tickets. According to TickPick, a ticket-selling company, before the news of Messi’s joining Inter Miami broke, the lowest price of a ticket to Inter Miami’s game versus Cruz Azul, where Messi later debuted, was $29. After the announcement of Messi’s debut match, the cheapest ticket available cost $329. 

Price spikes continued, with the lowest-valued ticket for Miami versus the New York Red Bulls raised from $30 to $401 and a similar price increase for the Miami versus Los Angeles FC match. 

On Aug. 23, the Herons are set to face FC Cincinnati in the semi-final of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. If Miami prevails, the final is set for Aug. 27 Just a day before, on Aug. 26, Messi will also play in his first regular season match against the New York Red Bulls, another highly anticipated game with the most expensive tickets selling for more than $10,000.

In an interview with the Athletic, David Beckham, co-owner of Inter Miami and a former Manchester United star and MLS player, said that signing Messi “will be up there with the biggest moves in American sporting history… it’s a hell of an achievement.” Beckham expressed his hope that Messi would not only popularize soccer among American adults, but “inspire the next generation” of Americans.