Breaking News
Sidwell Friends School's Student Newspaper Since 1974

Horizon

Horizon

Horizon

2024 Election Will Come to a Trump-Biden Faceoff

Trump+and+Biden+will+face+each+other+once+again+in+the+2024+election.+Photo%3A+Adam+Schultz.+
Adam Schultz
Trump and Biden will face each other once again in the 2024 election. Photo: Adam Schultz.

As the 2024 presidential election draws closer, Americans return to the timeless ritual of debating and speculating on the Democratic and Republican frontrunners. The prominent contenders are particularly noteworthy in this election, with both the incumbent president and his predecessor in the running, both of whom are polarizing and controversial candidates. 

Ultimately, the coming election is nothing short of proof of the tenuous state of American democracy and political culture.

On the Democrats’ side, the likely nominee is the incumbent President Joe Biden, whose intention to seek reelection despite his age came as a surprise at last year’s Democratic National Convention. With his extensive time in the Senate, two terms as Vice President, and impressive list of accomplishments in his first term thus far, Biden undoubtedly has the qualifications and reputation the office demands. Throughout his term, he has demonstrated a thorough comprehension of both domestic and international issues. As President, Biden led the global effort to defend and back Ukrainian troops against Russian invasion. He orchestrated the withdrawal of American troops from the wasteful and seemingly “never-ending war” in Afghanistan. He reinvigorated the judiciary, successfully appointing federal judges at a rate higher than any president since Kennedy. Despite inheriting an economy in freefall, Biden avoided economic recession and navigated global energy pressures through use of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, domestic energy production initiatives and direct negotiations with international energy exporters. Early in his term, Biden led America through the worst of the COVID-19 pandemic, increasing federal funding in healthcare and providing financial support to affected citizens and businesses. Biden is, however, still vilified by his detractors, who emphasize his old age and son’s pending criminal proceedings, while diminishing his contributions to the nation. 

The probable frontrunner on behalf of the Republican opposition is former President Donald Trump who, despite his divisive policies and previous scandals, continues to wield enormous influence within his party and throughout the nation. Despite his bombastic disposition and penchant for spouting misinformation in his rhetoric, Trump’s enduring cult of personality holds unprecedented sway with much of the Republican party. His supporters are undeterred by his past impeachments, criminal record and sexual harassment allegations. His capacity to resonate with Americans who feel marginalized or overlooked indicates his effective communication style. Trump’s populist strategies have allowed him to garner and maintain die-hard support for his divisive rhetoric. Regarding substantive performance, Trump is credited with the period of economic growth in the U.S. after he took office in 2017 when the nation experienced low unemployment rates and a thriving stock market. Conservatives and business moguls have expressed support for Trump’s liberal business policies, such as market deregulation and tax cuts for the wealthy. His actual policies, however, have often deviated from his rhetoric. For example, Trump threatened to destroy the Affordable Care Act, a controversial health insurance reform from the Obama administration, but, in reality, approved billions of dollars for the program, according to Politico.

Although it remains to be seen if the general election will come to another Biden versus Trump faceoff, it seems increasingly likely given their widespread support within their respective parties. Our nation is facing a worsening period of hyper-polarization across arbitrary party lines, and it is disheartening to witness the degeneration of our nation’s democracy. Electing officials, regardless of political affiliation, should be approached based on their past accomplishments, intended policies and individual integrity. From this outlook, there should be no question as to the more suitable candidate. Yet, we have reached another inflection point in which a pragmatic leader is threatened by one that has consistently misled the American public. Ultimately, the coming election is nothing short of proof of the tenuous state of American democracy and political culture.