HER Club Organizes Thanksgiving Book Drive

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, Sidwell’s student-led clubs organized events and activities designed to help students connect with their communities. One club that provided Thanksgiving service opportunities is Her Education is Her Right (HER) club.

HER club aims to increase educational opportunities for girls who lack access to education, according to junior and co-head Mallory Stack. HER has helped build 13 libraries in Pakistan and Morocco with “quality learning materials for underfunded girls’ schools in developing countries,” as stated on the organization’s website. Thus far, HER has helped support 20,000 students. 

HER focuses on providing a sustainable and cost-effective education. After collecting used books through drives, HER raises money to construct the libraries and transport the books. The end goal of HER’s initiatives is to increase the literacy rate in Pakistan and Morocco, which is currently 26%, according to HER’s website. 

Stack explained that the club organized a book drive for girls’ schools in Pakistan this year. 

“Thanksgiving is a time for giving, so doing a Thanksgiving book drive is a very good way to give back to the community,” Stack said.

The book drive began the week after Thanksgiving, accepting dictionaries, workbooks, chapter books, textbooks and more. Donations were dropped off outside Upper School Principal Mamadou Guèye’s office near the front of the school. The books will be donated to one of the 12 libraries that HER has helped build in Pakistan. 

Stack believes the drive has positively impacted the Upper School community by fostering collaboration and service.

“[The drive] helps girls in Pakistan, but it also provides a way for Sidwell students to connect,” Stack said. “It’s a really good way to commit an act of service and kindness because it’s easy and simple, but [it’s also] very beneficial for other people,” she added.