Breaking News
Sidwell Friends School's Student Newspaper Since 1974

Horizon

Horizon

Horizon

Sidwell Must Adopt a Politically Diverse Curriculum

Sidwell Friends
Sidwell’s curriculum has consistently failed to address and support varying student and faculty political opinions.

Sidwell fails to provide a politically diverse curriculum and instead creates a space where one’s political opinion dominates and pushes all others to the side. As a private institution, Sidwell can educate its students from multiple perspectives, forming a more well-rounded curriculum. Sidwell alumnus and Columbia tenured professor Charles Calomiris ’75 said “In order to devise an opinion on any subject, you need to look at it from different perspectives,” affirming that the best education is one without bias. “The school’s beliefs often get in the way of a multi-faceted education. A well-rounded education should provide perspectives from as many different angles as possible regardless of a school’s personal beliefs,” he said.

A more diverse education for students would provide a broader information base and adhere to many principles Sidwell values as a Quaker institution. Asking students to look at problems from different perspectives would promote empathy and understanding among classmates. In a diverse pluralistic society, people must understand and respect viewpoints that differ from theirs. By engaging in diverse education in the classroom, students can learn to appreciate the experiences and value the use of others, even if they disagree with them. 

In today’s increasingly separated world, the importance of teaching using different perspectives cannot be ignored. Education is not just about acquiring knowledge but about fostering critical thinking. By incorporating diverse political viewpoints into the curriculum, educators can help students develop a well-rounded understanding of society and the world at large. Our current curriculum makes it difficult for students to derive their own opinions based on the information they are given, which takes away an opportunity for students to develop their critical thinking and individuality. 

Exposing students to different perspectives helps guard against ideological echo chambers’ dangers. It is easy for individuals to surround themselves with like-minded individuals and consume information that affirms their existing beliefs. In our education, these beliefs are beneficial and always adherent to Quaker values; however, students need to be able to learn information for themselves by engaging with diverse viewpoints. This would allow students to develop a nuanced understanding of the world.

Despite its enriching curriculum, a student’s experience at Sidwell is currently very one-sided. Diversity is key, and although there are limits to how far this concept should be taken, an emphasis should be put on exploring different sides to a story when learning.