Breaking News
Sidwell Friends School's Student Newspaper Since 1974

Horizon

Horizon

Horizon

PRO: Should the United States Implement a Four-Day Workweek?

Sergiy Galyonkin, Flickr.
Many countries have shifted to a four-day workweek.

The United States must follow other countries’ examples and implement a four-day workweek. Countries such as Spain, Iceland and Canada have implemented one, and there has been debate over whether the U.S. should follow suit. Although the idea may seem drastic, it will offer the United States numerous benefits. Studies and experiments undertaken by many companies across the U.S. have provided vital data on why embracing a four-day workweek would benefit the country, as it will benefit employees, the work environment and companies due to improved mental health and increased productivity.

A 2022 U.K. Research and Innovation study found that a four-day workweek would significantly improve employee health. U.K. companies implemented a four-day work week for six months. Through in-depth interviews of employees during stages of the trial, results affirmed that a four-day workweek would be incredibly valuable to all employees. In the study, a four-day workweek resulted in 39% less stress reported by employees and 71% decreased burnout levels. 

Furthermore, anxiety and related issues were alleviated, staff withdrawal decreased and physical health increased. Implementing a four-day workweek skyrocketed employee well-being, which is why the U.S. must follow suit. The well-being of employees must be put first, and a four-day workweek is the way to achieve this.  

Additionally, a study in Japan found employee productivity increased 40% through a four-day workweek, proving why it should be implemented in the United States. The study concluded that an employee’s mental health improved through the schedule, and burnout lessened. As employee productivity increases and work weeks are shortened, this is a win-win for both companies and employees, demonstrating why it is essential for the United States to establish this policy. 

Thirdly, a four-day workweek will improve the environment through decreased transportation and factory emissions. With 12% of carbon emissions produced through factories and 10% from cars, even a fractional reduction of these emissions will greatly benefit the environment. Transportation to and from work notably affects carbon emissions. Thus, with a decrease in transportation, carbon emissions from cars will also decrease. 

Additionally, one less working day means less power usage and factory run time, reducing the carbon footprint. During this study, a 59% lower print rate and lower paper usage were observed, which will also aid the environment. Microsoft Japan observed a 23% lower electricity cost, and with our present global warming crisis, a four-day workweek will significantly help minimize that issue. 

Overall, the United States must follow in other countries’ footsteps and adopt a four-day workweek for its success. Employee well-being must be put first; a four-day workweek is a perfect way to do that. This policy will increase employees’ physical and mental health, grow employee productivity and largely help the environment. With other countries executing this, the United States must also for the advancement of the country as a whole.