Sidwell Programs Find Success in the Postseason Championships

Sidwell Friends
The Boys Varsity Tennis Team sweeps Potomac and wins the MAC tournament.

As the regular ISL and MAC seasons come to an end around the beginning of May, the focus shifts to the postseason
championships, including the Independent School League (ISL) for the girls’ programs and the Mid-Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAC) for boys’ programs Championships as well as the DCSAA State Championships.

Building off of the success of previous years, many Sidwell teams were able to bring home championship banners.
Girls Varsity Softball ended the season as the ISL Division A Champions for the second time in two years. The team headed into the postseason following a very successful regular season as they were undefeated in their league.

They first faced Madeira in the semi fi- nals, and despite the rainy conditions, were able to clinch a 13-12 victory.

The team then faced GDS in the finals and ultimately won 12-6, officially securing the first successful title defense in Sidwell Softball history.

Freshman catcher Sofia Toukan said that “[even] though the weather was not ideal, we managed to pull ourselves together and our determination allowed us to win both games.”

“We worked extremely hard during every game leading up to finals and always kept the energy high,” said freshman Olivia Bianchi Alves.

“Everyone gave so much effort and we were able to get the win,” she added.

For the fifth year in a row, the Sidwell Boys Tennis Team has won the MAC Tournament, which is especially impressive considering the new additions of several freshmen. After a clean sheet against Maret on the 7th, the following day the Quakers dominated in the finals against Potomac, finishing with a 7-0 sweep.

However, despite the lopsided final score, the Panthers tested the Quakers, especially during the No. 1 singles match featuring Sidwell freshman Akshay Mirmira and Potomac sophomore Teddy Courtauld.

Courtauld clinched the first set, but Mirmira was able to regain his focus during the break, eventually winning the second set and the tiebreaker 10-6.

According to Mimira, “we had a reallyfun and successful season.”

“The energy from everyone was awesome and we all put in the work,” he added.

“It was great to see it all pay off in a MAC Championship.”

Sidwell’s Track and Field Program took second place overall in the MAC Tournament at Bullis on May 9 and 11.

Sidwell had many players who placed very high in their races, including senior Easy Weissman who came in first in the 3200-meter and 1600-meter races.

The boys’ 4×400 relay team — fresh- man Jacob Wise, sophomores Oseswe Ogada and Justin Yarborough and junior Zachary Foxx —also placed first.

Yarborough and Ogada also claimed second and third place in the 400-meter race. Additionally, sophomore Omar Burik placed third in the 200-meter race, and sophomore Langston Hill came in third in
the 100-meter race.

Sidwell also had a lot of success in the field portion of the MAC Championship. Freshman Ian Condon took first place in discus and second place in shot put.

Senior Max Snow came in right behind him taking second place in the discus competition, and sophomore Lucas Schwinden also came third in shot put. Junior Sebastian Wess claimed first place in the triple jump.

On May 16, freshman Sara Abouzeid won girls’ singles in the DCSAA Championship. Abouzeid and freshman Natalie McIntosh also won girls’ doubles and the overall team championship. The boy’s team was second in doubles and second for the team title.

The energy from everyone was awesome and we all put in the work. It was great to see it all pay off in a MAC Championship.

— Akshay Mirmira ’27