Runners from Around the World Participate in the Annual Marine Corps Marathon

On Oct. 29, runners worldwide gathered in Arlington, Va., for the 48th annual Marine Corps Marathon (MCM). A well known 26.2-mile race with over 23,000 registered runners, the MCM is managed by active-duty marines and volunteers. 

The MCM race begins near the Arlington National Cemetery. Runners are lined up according to their estimated finishing time, submitted by the runners before the event, with the fastest runners in the front. 

Throughout the run, there are plenty of marines present, many of whom cheer runners on, run the marathon themselves or assist physically disabled runners throughout the marathon.

The MCM, which was established in 1976, is one of the largest marathons in the world that does not use prize money as an incentive to participate in the marathon. Due to this, the marathon has been nicknamed “The People’s Marathon.” According to the MCM page, the marathon has also been awarded the titles of “Best Marathon for Charities,” “Best Spectator Event,” as well as “Best Marathon in the Mid-Atlantic.” 

The 2023 marathon also introduced the Challenge Cup, a friendly competition between running teams from elite U.S. Marine divisions and the British Royal Navy and Royal Marines. 

The MCM was first televised in 1987, and the MCM Hall of Fame was created in 2000, which included notable names such as Steve Bozeman, Ken Carnes, Joanna Martin and Gysgt. In 2001, the marathon became dedicated to the people whose lives were lost during the events of 9/11. 

In 2014, over 500,000 runners completed the MCM. The MCM is accessible to everyone, regardless of any disability. The list of participants include athletes with impairments, hand cyclists, those in wheelchairs and runners of all ages. 

In 2022, runners donated over 150 shoes to charity and 18,000 food items to the Capital Area food bank. The MCM also advocates for initiatives combating climate change. These actions led the MCM to earn a silver green certification in 2009 and 2011. In 2014, the Marathon went on to earn a gold certification. 

“The Marine Corp Marathon is unlike any other race in the country,” explained marathon review site Running on Happy. “Everything at MCM was top notch — from the expo to the post-race atmosphere.”