The Add-Drop Period Must be Extended

At the beginning of the first semester, students at Sidwell Friends receive a nine-day add-drop period. This year, the period to add or drop classes fell from Sept. 5-Sept. 13. Several of the nine days given were used for the introductory period before classes actually began, so students only had one week of exposure to their classes before they made a permanent choice regarding their courses. The short duration of the add-drop period is an obstacle for many, as it is an insufficient amount of time to develop an accurate impression of the course and its material. 

During the first two weeks of school, a majority of each class period is allocated to class introductions and reviewing necessary material from past years. This component of the school year is essential to students’ success as it helps them prepare for the class ahead. However, it does not provide students with a comprehensive picture of what the course and its workload will be like. This presents a dilemma for students who are required to decide whether to change their classes within such an introductory period. 

An additional obstacle that arises is the homework load difference at the onset of the year compared to later in the semester. Due to the deadline for the add-drop period being so early in the school year, the volume of homework and other student responsibilities is not an accurate reflection of what the workload will be like throughout the year, which presents yet another hindrance in the decision-making process for students.

Freshman Nia George stated that the “add-drop period is most definitely too short for a student to truly experience the class curriculum and environment.” 

Finally, extending the add-drop period would give students more time to explore their academic interests. High school is a time of self-discovery, and students may not be entirely sure about their academic passions two weeks into the school year. By extending the add-drop period, students would have more opportunities to experience different classes and subjects before making a permanent choice, which would ultimately lead to more informed academic decisions.