Seniors Share Advice for the Upcoming School Year

Seniors+give+younger+students+advice+on+prioritizing+their+mental+health.+Photo%3A+Sidwell+Friends.+
Seniors give younger students advice on prioritizing their mental health. Photo: Sidwell Friends.

As students prepare for the upcoming school year, Sidwell seniors offered advice to promote a successful and healthy high school experience. Your mental health is the most important thing. If you have a good mental and emotional mindset and are in a good mental and emotional position, you will have a much better chance of succeeding and feeling good

Your mental health is the most important thing. If you have a good mental and emotional mindset and are in a good mental and emotional position, you will have a much better chance of succeeding and feeling good.

— Jackson Youree '24

According to senior Elizabeth Hare, students often focus too much on their future or college decisions rather than living in the moment by participating in clubs of interest to them. 

“Seniors want students, especially freshmen, to know that taking advantage of such opportunities will lead to a more fulfilling High School experience,” said Hare. “Although it is normal to worry about the future, almost every senior feels like the student body should be taking it day by day and enjoying their time.” 

Senior Jackson Youree also highlighted the importance of developing coping mechanisms to avoid becoming overwhelmed in school. 

Limiting time on social media demonstrates self-control and discipline, two skills critical throughout high school.

— Robert Foster '24

“Your mental health is the most important thing. If you have a good mental and emotional mindset and are in a good mental and emotional position, you will have a much better chance of succeeding and feeling good than if you are constantly stressed,” said Youree. “Whether the pressure is coming from you, your peers, or your family, finding a way to regulate your mental health is significant.”

Senior George Bankoff explained that the most effective way to prioritize your mental health was to keep on top of school work by “talking to the teachers as much as possible since they always have your best interests at heart and will always be there for you.”

Senior Anya Vedantambe echoed this sentiment, adding that communicating with teachers is essential to limiting stress.“If you need help meeting due dates on essays or help to understand the material, teachers are generally very accommodating and will take time to meet with you and work out whatever problem you may have,” she said.

Senior Robert Foster expressed how limiting time spent on social media is crucial for a healthy mindset. Although Foster acknowledges that social media is challenging to avoid, especially during high school’s pivoting social scene, he is confident that students can figure out what works best for them.

“This is easier said than done, but if done, you will benefit from more time and a better capability to focus,” explained Foster. “Limiting time on social media demonstrates self-control and discipline, two skills critical throughout high school.”

Senior Alma Degener added that in an intense academic setting like Sidwell, it is essential to surround yourself with people that believe in you and that you can be yourself around. “These people could be friends, family, or teachers. What is most important is that you are not bringing yourself down,” said Degener.

“Although Sidwell is a complex place, the key to success lies in each student’s ability to find coping mechanisms and ways to stay on top of their work and social life,” Bankoff added. “This will look different for each person, but the underlying theme should be a balance between academic and social life.”