Breaking News
Sidwell Friends School's Student Newspaper Since 1974

Horizon

Horizon

Horizon

Sidwell Welcomes New Staff for the School Year

Sidwell+welcomes+new+faculty+to+the+school+community+for+the+school+year.+Photo%3A+Sidwell+Friends.+
Sidwell welcomes new faculty to the school community for the school year. Photo: Sidwell Friends.

The Sidwell community is excited to welcome new teachers and coaches this upcoming year. There will be several  new faculty members in the athletic department, including yoga and dance teacher Danielle Madrid and JV volleyball coach Heidi Gaston. Additionally, some members of the athletic department are taking on new roles, including Sidwell alumni and new football coach and Middle School PE teacher Jamar Chichester.

In an interview, Chichester mentioned he was interested in returning to the Sidwell community as an educator because he “wanted to impart some of the knowledge that [he] gained after graduating to the kids who are coming through the program now.” He is excited to see the improvement of the football team and looks forward to offering positive energy to the football team during practices and on game days. 

[I] felt drawn to the inclusive community and [was] inspired by the Quaker principles of justice and service.

— Dean Hampers

New faculty in the Upper School also include English teachers Alonzo Vereen and Connor Larsen, Math teacher Dean Hampers, Photography teacher Megan Bainbridge and college counselors Larry Momo and Victoria Dawe. 

Hampers mentioned in an interview that he was interested in joining the Sidwell faculty since he “felt drawn to the inclusive community and [was] inspired by the Quaker principles of justice and service.” He looks forward to watching his students excel in his math classes and loves to see students have their “lightbulb” moments. 

He anticipates the challenge of navigating Sidwell’s campus and learning the faces and names of the students and faculty, but he hopes to quickly adjust to the new environment. Hampers believes every student “should be treated as an individual with a unique learning style.” He explains how his deep understanding of math allows him to offer different explanations, which will help his students meet their full potential. Additionally, Hampers will bring his outside interests, such as sports, to help connect with the larger community.

Finally, Ginger Moran, who taught English for the last three quarters of this past school year, is returning to Sidwell. Richard Griffith is also joining the Upper School community as a new counselor, though he has worked with the Lower School for many years. 

In an interview with Horizon, Griffith said that he is interested in Sidwell because of its potential to create an inclusive community that honors the voices of all the community members. He appreciates that Sidwell’s values encourage students to prioritize doing good for others and the environment. Griffith is most excited about the new opportunities and challenges the Middle School and Upper School campus offers and looks forward to making close connections with  students, faculty and staff. 

Griffith plans to bring his “genuine desire to support, collaborate and foster healing and growth in others to [his] work next year.”