Chorus and A Capella Groups Perform at the Spring Concert

This year’s Si

[I]t was so fun to perform if it was even for a short while. A strong community was built and I’m so grateful I was able to experience that.

— Lara Asch ’26

dwell Spring Performance on April 26 marked the end of a year of hard work for the performers who had been preparing for the event for months. The concert, hosted in the RLS, contained acts from both the Chamber Chorus and Full Chorus and Sidwell’s a cappella groups, Passing Notes, COSO and Tempo Tantrums. 

The evening began as families, friends and students filled the auditorium to see their friends and peers perform. 

“As someone who was only in an a capella group, I thought it was so fun to see everybody perform, and it was so fun to perform if it was even for a short while. A strong community was built and I’m so grateful I was able to experience that,” said sophomore Lara Asch, a member of Tempo Tantrums.

The chorus, comprised of singers of all grades and experience levels, devoted countless hours to rehearsing and refining their pieces. 

The chorus began with a piece called “How Can I Keep From Singing?” arranged by Russell Robinson. The song talks about the joy of singing with friends in an impressive eight part harmony.

It next sang “Oh Let Me Fly” by Rollo Dilworth, a traditional spiritual with jazzy influences. Next, “Yo Le Canto,” a piece in spanish also about the joys of singing.

After three songs, the a cappella groups presented their arrangements. Passing Notes sang “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the Richer and “Golden Hour” by JVKE. Tempo Tantrum sang “Dreams” by The Cranberries and “Good Old Days” by Macklemore. COSO sang “Baby I’m Yours” by Barbara Lewis and “Hooked on a Feeling” by Björn Skifs and Blue Swede. The three groups then joined together to sing “Stand By Me” by Ben E. Kang.

The Chamber Chorus next sang “Sing My Child” by Sarah Quartel, and “The Lone Wild Bird” by Richard Burchard. It sang a Cherokee piece arranged by James E. Green titiled “Walking by the Cherokee River”, with a flute accompaniment played by junior Ananeah Nevil , and a piece partly in italian arranged by Charles Anthony Silvestri, “Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine.”

Junior Miya Routh mentioned the challenge and humor that came from singing the piece “Leonardo,” in particular, which contains many different sections and harmonies. The chorus decided to perform the piece despite the fact that it wasn’t fully developed. However, despite their mistakes, Routh felt it was a “funnier moment” of the performance and a valuable memory. 

Sophomore Luca Kontupes was initially part of the Full Chorus but transferred to the Chamber Chorus midway through the year. Kontupes expressed great fulfillment within the community, especially after joining the Chamber Chorus. 

“I feel that this concert was a perfect reflection of our hard work, and I couldn’t be happier I made this decision and I hope other people join [Chamber] Chorus as well,” she said. 

Yet, amidst celebrating musical achievement, the event was bittersweet for many. According to Kontupes, for the seniors, this concert marked the culmination of their high school chorus journey, a final crescendo before they embarked on new adventures past Sidwell. 

The full chorus closed with “Shenandoah”, arranged by James Erb, “Didn’t My Lord Deliver Daniel”, arranged by Moses Hogan, and a tribute to the seniors, “I Am Leaving”, arranged by Miriam Sonstenes.

The concert was a moment of gratitude for the underclassmen as they paid tribute to the seniors who had inspired and mentored them. Speeches and performances honored the departing members of the chorus family. Students also honored the seniors with roses, a yearly tradition in the Sidwell Chorus community. 

Sophomore Ella Song said, “I love the joyful environment we have created, yet, I am really sad to see my sister, Ava, graduate. I feel really bad to see her leave the community and she is such a prominent figure in both my life and chorus, and I feel the same way about all the other seniors.” 

Many people were impacted by the seniors’ departure, especially Upper School Choral Music Teacher Sarah Markovits, who directed the concert. Markovits expressed the joys of her students pursuing their future but also expressed how much she will miss the seniors. 

Although the Spring Choral Concert concluded the seniors’ experience performing at Sidwell, students agree that the community they have built will continue to thrive and the seniors will be remembered for years to come.