Breaking News
Sidwell Friends School's Student Newspaper Since 1974

Horizon

Horizon

Horizon

The United States Must Intervene in Haiti’s Humanitarian Crisis

Voice of America

The United States must intervene in Haiti’s humanitarian crisis due to its past role as a harmful figure in Haiti’s colonial history. Over the past few decades, Haiti has been the subject of political and economic foreign intervention. Most notably, from 1915 to 1934, following Haitian President Jean Vilbrun Guillaume Sam’s assassination, the U.S. occupied Haiti under former President Woodrow Wilson. However, the U.S.’ occupation of Haiti led to various human rights abuses, such as the notorious corvée labor system — a forced labor system often likened to slavery. Furthermore, the U.S. has militarily and economically damaged Haiti, including pushing the idea of an export-import economy that mainly served to benefit the U.S. and other nations. This poor historical record between Haiti and the United States contributes to the government’s current hesitation to intervene in Haiti despite its role in its upheaval. Though the United States has been, according to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the “single largest humanitarian donor to Haiti,” it is important to recognize the United States’ disastrous history in Haiti and the necessity of rectifying the United State’s past negative influence in Haiti.

Recently, Haiti has faced both environmental and political challenges, including the 2010 earthquake, the assassination of its president Jovenel Moise in 2021 and continuing political upheaval. Following President Moise’s death, the country has seen an increase in murders and targeted crimes initiated by armed groups, mostly composed of “paramilitary and former police officers who pose as community leaders,” according to NBC. 

With this increase in violence and a weakened national police force, the United States must begin supplying resources and aid to Haitians now. It is also imperative that the United States deploy troops to aid in combating dangerous non-militant forces. While the United States cannot undo its past role in destabilizing the country’s governance, we can provide critical humanitarian and security support during this crucial time.