Asian Students Association Hosts Annual Spice Challenge

On March 7, the Asian Students Association (ASA) hosted its annual spice challenge. Participants competed to be the first to complete two bowls of spicy instant ramen in order to win a 50-dollar Chipotle gift card.

According to ASA, 20 students participated in the competition this year. “This year’s spice challenge was very successful,” sophomore and ASA head Sophie Cao said. “It was more organized than last year, attracted more people and was more fun than previous years’ spice challenges.”

Upper School Math Teacher Dominic Lee added that the ASA faced administrative consequences in prior years for making too much of a mess, and that this year, despite the overwhelming smell, it was much cleaner and more organized. 

I have been coming to this competition for three years now and every time, it’s peak American culture.

— Deanna Paukstitus '25

Before the challenge, some students felt confident, while others felt uneasy. Freshman Neel Prakash said he felt “perfect,” while freshman Max Kerzner said he was “terrified.”

According to sophomore Zach Boukkouri, students participated in “pre-eating rituals” to prepare. Sophomore Linus Rhee gave a pep talk to Boukkouri, while sophomore Jayla Jackson called her mother after warming up with seniors Kendall Dudley and Zania Socka.

“I’m feeling solid, you know, ready to compete, ready to get the food down,” Boukkouri said before the ramen was distributed. “I don’t eat spicy ramen, but am a huge hot sauce guy. I can’t predict how I will do, but I will give it my all.” 

“I’m locked in,” Jackson added after admitting to skipping LOP for the competition. The competition attracted lots of spectators, including junior Deanna Paukstitus. “I have been coming to this competition for three years now and every time, it’s peak American culture,” she said. 

54.85 seconds into the competition, Boukkouri stood up after finishing both bowls of ramen, narrowly beating senior Jason Babcock for first place. According to Boukkouri, the victory was a team effort. “I would like to thank God, my mom and everyone who supported me throughout the way,” said Boukkouri. “I fought through it all and I got it down.”

However, not everyone found the competition as straightforward as Boukkouri. “It was hot. Really hot. It was a tough battle, but I am proud that I got through it,” said Jackson. 

Reflecting on the challenge, sophomore Maina Vaidya admired the competitors’ perseverance. “It was disgusting but amazing at the same time,” said Vaidya. 

According to Cao, the ASA will continue the tradition next year. “I think the spice competition does a great job of unifying students through a stress-free and fun competition, especially as the quarter ends,” said Cao. “We will continue doing it as long as the administration agrees.”