Breaking News
Sidwell Friends School's Student Newspaper Since 1974

Horizon

Horizon

Horizon

New Speaker Mike Johnson is a Dangerous Choice for the Position

Mike+Johnson%E2%80%99s+speakership+could+worsen+existing+party+tensions+and+allow+the+Republican+party+to+more+aggressively+pursue+its+conservative+agenda.+
Flickr.
Mike Johnson’s speakership could worsen existing party tensions and allow the Republican party to more aggressively pursue its conservative agenda.

On Oct. 25, 2023, following a weeks-long power grab, House Republicans finally elected Rep. Mike Johnson to be the next Speaker of the House. Following the ousting of former Speaker Rep. Kevin McCarthy, House Republicans struggled to settle on a nominee with the broad support necessary to win over both moderate Republicans as well as the particularly powerful ultraconservative Freedom Caucus. Previously a relatively unknown representative from Louisiana, Johnson has only served in the House since 2016, leading some to raise concerns about his inexperience. So, with House Republicans remaining increasingly divided, Johnson will face an uphill battle in the coming weeks as the House works to pass a permanent funding package.
Prior to his rapid ascension to the position of Speaker, Johnson was just another member of a growing radical conservative movement in the House. A proud Southern Baptist, Johnson has made a name for himself by supporting conservative evangelicalism. In an interview with Sean Hannity shortly after assuming his new position, Johnson clarified his faith’s role in his politics, saying, “People are curious. ‘What does Mike Johnson think about any issue under the sun?’ I said, ‘Well, go pick up a Bible off your shelf and read it. That’s my worldview. That’s what I believe.’” 

Johnson has utilized his Christian worldview to advance policy initiatives designed to promote his religious ideals. According to Johnson’s own website, in 2022, he and 32 other House Republicans introduced the Stop the Sexualization of Children Act, which would prevent the use of federal funds to educate children under the age of 10 on topics deemed “sexually oriented.” Johnson claims that the bill will prevent federal funds from going towards the exposure of young children to sexually explicit material, but his critics have likened it to the federal “Don’t Say Gay” bill designed to prevent education about the LGBTQ community.
At the beginning of the House’s session last January, Johnson was a junior member of House leadership, but now, a mere 10 months later, he is one of the most powerful Republicans in the country. Guided by strong Christian beliefs, the Johnson speakership could see the House take aggressive action against the kind of social causes that House Republicans have denounced throughout the Biden administration. But, for Johnson, the next couple of weeks is the most crucial, as he must secure a permanent federal funding package without falling into the same traps that led to the demotion of his predecessor, Kevin McCarthy. Overall, Johnson is too inexperienced for a position of such importance in our political system. His views embody the most extreme and dangerous rhetoric of his party, and his appointment poses a serious threat to political stability and cohesion in the House.