Breaking News
Sidwell Friends School's Student Newspaper Since 1974

Horizon

Horizon

Horizon

Darren Speece Takes on Role as Dean of Student Life

On July 1, Upper School Principal Mamadou Guèye announced that Michael Woods, the Assistant Principal for Student Life, was awarded the Head of School’s sabbatical for the 2023-2024 school year. During Woods’ absence, Former Assistant Dean of Students Darren Speece will act as the interim Dean of Student Life while continuing to head the history department. 

We are so grateful for Speece’s willingness to accept this challenge and to serve the school in this capacity.

— Mamadou Guéye

These are the lives of teenagers, and they will struggle, but the teachers and I will be there to create an environment that helps the students feel supported and like they can balance their personal and academic lives.

— Darren Speece

According to Guèye, Sidwell awards the Head of the School’s sabbatical after a faculty member works at Sidwell for over ten years. Woods, who spent 13 of his 21 years at Sidwell as the Assistant Principal for Student Life, will take the opportunity to study and reflect upon leadership in education and the military, explained Guèye.

“​​No one has had a longer tenure in this difficult and demanding position, no one has brought more integrity to the office and no one is more deserving,” Guèye said about Woods in an all-school email. “Woods’s presence and professionalism will be deeply missed during the upcoming year.”

Speece believes his shift to the position is the least disruptive way to fill Woods’ shoes and hopes students will navigate this year effectively and safely. Speece also emphasized the importance of a healthy work-life balance, which he hopes will allow students to maintain their composure throughout the year. 

“Students should be having fun and working hard throughout the year, but those two things are not mutually exclusive,” Speece explained. 

“These are the lives of teenagers, and they will struggle, but the teachers and I will be there to create an environment that helps the students feel supported and like they can balance their personal and academic lives.” 

Speece also hopes to teach students the skills necessary to develop in high school, such as talking to adults and navigating the classroom experience.

“I certainly struggled with these things as a teenager,” Speece said. “Learning these basic skills and being cool is essential to a successful and enjoyable high school experience.”

Guéye is grateful that Speece stepped up to fill the position and is confident he will be a great asset to the Sidwell community. “We are so grateful for Speece’s willingness to accept this challenge and to serve the School in this capacity,” Guéye said.