Breaking News
Sidwell Friends School's Student Newspaper Since 1974

Horizon

Horizon

Horizon

Sports Editor Reviews the Red Bull Show Run in Washington

Lia Nathan
The RB19 was a highlight of the Friday Fan Fest at Union Marker

On April 20, successful Formula One (F1) team Oracle Red Bull Racing held the Red Bull Showrun DC on Pennsylvania Avenue. The previous day, the team hosted the Red Bull Fan Fest at Union Market. The event included various activities, such as Q&A with Oracle Red Bull employees, a pit stop challenge, racing simulators and merchandise booths. Both events were free admission and open to the public. 

Recently, I have become interested in F1 and started watching races and learning about the race cars. On Friday afternoon, I decided to attend this event. Getting to Union Market during rush hour on a Friday afternoon was near impossible, taking me over an hour to get there from Sidwell. 

Once I arrived, the Fan Fest was much smaller than I expected, and there was not enough space at the venue for all the people there. Half of the event space was occupied by a makeshift garage built for storage and the RB7. As a result, the space for the simulators and pit stop challenge was very small, making it extremely difficult to navigate across the venue. 

Although I initially wanted to try both the simulator and the pit stop challenge, I realized that I would have to wait for well over an hour in either line to try the activities. The pit stop challenge involved the front half of a static model mounted in a trailer, and the objective was for four people to try to change the tires as fast as possible. 

The simulator was composed of gas and brake pedals and a steering rig connected to a TV that played the EA Sports F1 game. These simulators are more widely accessible, allowing many F1 fans to have their own. Simulators are an important part of Formula One and the teams because they are instrumental in understanding data about multiple parts of the car and its performance. 

For me, the highlight of the event was getting the chance to get a closer look at Red Bull’s RB19—arguably the most dominant F1 car of all time. The RB19 won 21 out of the 22 held races in the 2023 season. The car on display was static, meaning the car was never actually raced, ,but instead just a model. Despite this, it was incredible to see the car that dominated last year and has won almost all of the races I have ever watched as a relatively new fan. 

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the main event on Saturday, which included demonstrations of Red Bull motor vehicles throughout multiple motorsport disciplines. A RB7 driven by legendary F1 driver David Coulthard, a former Red Bull driver and 13-time Grand Prix race winner, headlined the Showrun. Organizers estimated that 50,000 fans attended the event.