Ian Johnson Speaks at the 41st Annual Zeidman Lecture

Journalist+Ian+Johnson+speaks+to+Sidwell+community+about+the+importance+of+history.+Photo%3A+WorldOregon.+
Journalist Ian Johnson speaks to Sidwell community about the importance of history. Photo: WorldOregon.

On March 7, Sidwell’s China Studies Program held the 41st Annual John Fisher Zeidman Memorial Lecture in the Robert L. Smith Meeting Room, where attendees were guided through the importance of teaching Chinese history. 

Director of the Chinese Studies Program John Flower said he is proud of “the experiential learning parts of the program that we were able to put together. The next wave of education will focus on experiential learning, especially hands-on learning [which is] the antidote to AI and the unreal virtual world.” 

These reasons sparked the committee’s decision to select journalist Ian Johnson as this year’s Zeidman lecturer, who, according to Flower, is “incredibly accomplished.”

The Zeidman Lecture offered Sidwell students a unique perspective on how history fosters cross-cultural bridges of understanding.

— Finn Peters '24

Lucia Pierce, the original chair of the Chinese Studies Program and independent college counselor, explained that the selection process was straightforward. “Ian Johnson’s name was brought up many times, and there were a number of us who knew him, so we, as a committee, agreed to have him.” 

Throughout his career, Johnson has detailed how the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) attacked dissidents dedicated to promoting China’s actual history. He has additionally stressed the importance of history — especially history during the 19th and 20th centuries — to the CCP. 

“The bravery the underground historians in China show is a model for all the brave people who want to speak truth to power. The obstacles are so big, yet they still do it,” reflected Flower on the historians that Johnson mentioned.

“History is about morality,” argued Flower. “We say who we are and the values we believe in by the history we tell — the truth about the past. Remember, the truth is a moral act.” 

Senior Finn Peters added, “The Zeidman Lecture offered Sidwell students a unique perspective on how history fosters cross-cultural bridges of understanding.”

Pierce said that “Ian Johnson’s talk was important since he gave a vibrant and active perspective of China with a strong belief in history.” She added that as a historian, she loved how he talked about history as a political tool by the government and a tool people with a passion for China can explore.  

Flower agreed with Pierce, explaining that utilizing history is essential to connecting the past to our present. However, Flower acknowledged that “controlling history is a much bigger struggle” and found that understanding history is the best way to learn from the past and secure the future. 

Senior Myles King found the lecture incredibly interesting and a great learning experience for students and faculty alike. “I enjoyed the lecture and hope it will continue long after I graduate,” said King. 

“We will miss Dr. Flower next year and I hope the program continues to expand students’ ability to connect Chinese history to present experiences even after I am gone,” added Peters.